CSCC Reports 2008: Jersey Sea Kayaking Symposium - May 2008
Beth, Russ, Chris, Stephen and I attended the 2008 Jersey sea kayaking symposium (Joanna also travelled to Jersey, but didn't paddle). We had a great time in spite of intermittent heavy rain.
Kevin Mansell and his friends from the Jersey Canoe Club again did a brilliant job in organising the event. We did slightly different things during the week, but highlights for me included-
- the trip to the Ecrehous, where we were caught in a thunderstorm and Beth and I and others were forced to seek refuge in a house being rented by a Jersey couple for several hours (Chris is made of sterner stuff and managed to remain outside, braving the elements)
- a rare opportunity to paddle past the Corbiere light-house into St Ouen's bay in benign conditions
- tackling some big waves on a headland near Plemont bay
- the kayak handling skills session;
- the CSCC trip along the north coast from Greve de Lecq to Bouley Bay and back
- my inuit paddle workshop with Duncan Winning OBE
- chatting to other paddlers from all over Europe
We also attended the posh dinner in St Helier and the two BBQ's.
Taking the boats over on the ferry/sea cat proved straightforward. We stayed at the Beauvelande campsite which is excellent (great facilities, helpful staff and pleasant atmosphere).
Photos can be found at..